Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Pretty little sweater!!

Here it is ~ the next project. Oh wait didn't I want to make Weekend Getaway satchel next.

There was a problem, I got an email from my lovely yarn store owner over the weekend - "Yarn Clearance" it said. I had hopes of going in and finding all the ugly stuff I would never want anyways. Or if there was something good, it would just be one or two balls of something that would be useful to have one or two balls of. That way I would avoid huge expensive yarn purchase for nothing. Then I saw this Madil. I was digging around and found this grayish to whitish color that there were 8 balls of. I thought this is nice, but what could I do with it. There isn't so much (as each ball is only 45 yards) and I don't really need another bag. Then I saw behind the multiple baskets filled with clearance yarn a huge stash of yarn in these cubbies. Also on clearance.

There was even more Madil in this really pretty greenish to creamish sage like colorway. It was the type of color I LOVE!! Very similar to the Manos fishbowl bag that I still have not finished (that damn lining!). So there were about 20 balls in this color. So then Meg (LYS Owner) comes sauntering by and says how much she loves this yarn. And I say yes me as well, but what to make with it. Good yarn shop owner that she is, she says I have the perfect pattern for a fitted cardigan that is soooo cute. I say let's have a look. So she spends a good 5-10 minutes digging through pattern book after pattern book. She does not give up and I have to say I am pleased. I fell in love with it. I love the cables at the bottom. It is easy (super easy) so I can do it. AND it knits on size 15's. This sweater will take no time.

So she rings me up, just over $50 (I know not really so much money) which includes 12 skeins of the Madil, one skein of the best alpaca. I used it to make a pair of felted fingerless gloves for Kyle for x-mas last year and have some left that I am going to add to the new green skein. Who knows what for, but it was to soft to pass up. And the pattern. I came home and all I wanted to do was start the sweater. But no, I must finish I DO. The wedding is going to be coming up in about 9 weeks. Not to far away. So I must make myself busy with that shrug.

Changes I have planned for the Madil sweater so far-
-Add an extra repeat of the cable design to the sleeves and body, I am pretty long!
-Add some extra sts into the body, I am still working out how that will affect the cable pattern,it is over an 8 st repeat.
-I may try to combine the back and sides and knit them as one piece to avoid seaming them up I will probably try to do the same with the sleeves. I am not sure on how well such a thing would be, but I will try reading up on it to see.

And here are the pictures:

Pattern - Soooo pretty!! Posted by Picasa


Yarn and Pattern Posted by Picasa


Close up of yarn for sweater Posted by Picasa


Swatch of Madil. Nice and thick!! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute sweater! Did I hear you say you're making it for me for Christmas? Okay!! I'd love one!! It doesn't look like enough yarn to do that sweater, but I guess it must be. I Do is coming along nicely. It's going to be so cute! Happy knitting.