Saturday, November 26, 2005

Saturday fun...

And So It Begins...

I got my yarn ready. At first I was only going to dye one skein, but after it was done decided to do two more. This leaves me with a fourth... do I dye it the same... or something different??

I have been buying and collecting koolaid and laid it all out to begin my color explorations.







Next I soaked the yarn in clear water to prepare it for the dye.




And then I mixed my colors. I was very methodical and kept track of what flavors I used to make each color. Why did I make yellow, it doesn't fit any of the other colors. Oh well, I didn't even use it except for a taste... TART!!


The squirt squirt here, squirt squirt there, I have very colorful yarn. What a mess, the first skein I did right on top of the table (some directions said to do this, other said to do it in a bag and even others said to do it in the dish. I settled on the dish after the mess of the first one). So here it is ready to go into the microwave.





The yarn has left my hands a very bright red... I think this is the real reason I decided to continue and dye the other two skeins, I don't want to walk around with super colorful hands all the time. It is even a bigger problem for me since I occasionally chew my finger nails, because the color gets weird around those places. I believe I kept the color contained and didn't get it anywhere it should not be. My biggest concern was that I used my dad's camera... he is pretty anal, as I would be too when someone used my camera for such things. But I didn't tell him, so he will find out after I return the camera to him in perfect condition. I would have used mine but it went out of town with Kyle this weekend. I was going to say I don't realize how much I love my camera until it is gone, but that is untrue, I know how much I love it and take pictures nearly EVERY day.





















In the microwave, the yarn gets HOT!!









Here it is in the bathtub, about to go for a bath and cool off. Then I will hang it up and let it dry. I guess it will be a few days before I can wind it into balls. I always feel very guilty taking yarn into my LYS to wind it into balls if I didn't buy it there. I had some E-bay yarn I took to the yarn store. The guilt was too much, I don't know if I can take this in. But it is soooo much to wind by hand. Each skein is 440 yards. Times 3. 1320 yards. WOW!!

1 comment:

RheLynn said...

Thanks for documenting the process Rhiannon. I was thinking about trying this soon and will have to sneak a peek back - especially about the microwave part!