Monday, August 28, 2006

no knits here.

But I have been doing some other stuff. First you see the Fall Cruise Bag. It is a updated version of the Fall Airport Bag. This bag is for my mom and the cruise she and her mom are leaving for this Friday. Differences: It is a little smaller, mostly because I didn't buy enough fabric. It has a zipper across the opening. This was a request from my mom because she wants a little extra security. Good Idea!! However it was not all that easy to put on the bag. I needed a zipper like a jacket would have (opens on the end) rather then this which is fixed at the end.

The material my mom picked is a glamorous brown with an embroidered paisley type print with flashy sequins all over it. Not my style, but pretty cute. The inside lining is a cream paisley type print. More my style! Here the bag is being modeled on the two digeridoo's Kyle is making right now. He had a request for one from someone at work (I think) and had to buy a 10 foot length of bamboo so he had enough to make two. The bamboo is really nice.

And next, my crafty-ness has taken a turn towards wire. I don't know how much I liked making this. I got a lot of scratches and pokes. And the end result is not as nice as I had hoped for. Being my first attempt, I should not worry as much. This plant was dying which is what inspired the whole idea. There was this little strip of wall in the bathroom in between the window and the corner. There is a big mirror on the adjacent wall (see the reflection). I wanted the plant somewhere we would see it a lot and it would be right by water, so it would get the water it desperately needs.
I came across this wire working book Kyle's Grandma gave me a few weeks ago. There were some good project ideas and I came up with this one. It looks like the green pot the plant is in, is floating inside the wire holder.
That is all my crafty business for now. I start classes tomorrow. I am NOT excited yet. Plus I've been looking over some of the paperwork for the classes, syllabi and stuff. I think one of my classes actually grades on a curve. The bad curve of so many A's, B's, C's and so on. That is bad. I have never actually had any class ever graded in this way. It bothers me because I find it unfair to have scores actually based on what other students are getting in the class. I don't think there should be advantages, but I don't understand what the problem is with not grading based on percentages. If a teacher wants a harder grading schematic, they can just set higher percentages. For example an A can be 95% and higher. Sorry for my school rant, but I am grumpy because I like to get what I earn!!

1 comment:

RheLynn said...

Good job on the zipper! I couldn't get one to work on a bag last time I tried. I agree on the curve thing - If everyone in the class fell within 75 and 100% on a test, getting your grade on a curve would be enough to make anybody upset!

I hope the plant makes it - it looks like it has pretty leaves!