Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gumbo!!!!!!!!

I Made gumbo for dinner this past weekend. A combo of recipies to make a heartly flavorfull (semi)vegitarian version. Kyle is a vegitarian, almost, he does eat seafood. So this yummy bowl full of goodness does have shrimp in it. Plus some really good hot and spicy vegitarian peperroni (we looked for a vegi version of andoullie (spelling??) but could find none) buth the peperroni is a really nice addition. The gumbo is chock full of okra (Kyle complained and whined and said he REFUSED to eat it, but did and found it okay), tomatoes, celery, carrotts, onion, mushrooms, red and green bells (next time I am leaving out the green bell peppers) and brown rice (Kyle also had many complaints about the brown, but our white rice was bad(weavils) and all we had was brown, which I did not know took FOREVER to cook). It looked prettier day of, because we had a big scoop of rice in the center with the gumbo swimming around the outside (which is how it is served at the only restaurant where I have eaten the most amazing gumbo ever: Mumbo Gumbo in Anchorage Alaska.) I don't think mine compared (even close) to hers, but it was better then the paltry versions I have since tried here in Fresno. I have had it at a couple of chain restaurants in hopes of something delicious, Red Lobster and Elephant Bar. Mine kicks theirs in the rump.

I love to cook (sort of), I am always more enamored by the idea and then never do it. But I really enjoyed making this. I keep telling Kyle that we need to have a dinner party. We soon (after the wedding) will be (probably) getting a bunch of new stuff, like pretty dishes and what not, you know place mats, cloth napkins. The stuff that we don't have now. But my real dilemma would be where to place people. My apartment is pretty tiny. I really need to stop writing, start eating and get to work. So off I go.

Side note (about knitting): Tara bought me the yarn and pattern for the cutest sweater I am going to make for Teagan. Picture Here.


Delicious homemade gumbo!! Posted by Picasa



MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... Shrimp and Okra. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks tasty! I can't believe you devoted so much text to gumbo. I almost went to Mumbo Gumbo for gumbo and biscuits today, but I held back. I'm in love with her breakfasts now! (I could tell your spell check wasn't working. hee hee.)

Rhiannon said...

I devoted so much time because it is the current food love of my life. I have fond food memories of it, and only wish I knew how to make those biscuits as well. (Some of us can't be the greatest speller's. Sorry!)