Saturday, February 18, 2006

No knitting, some fishing and a lot of Harry Potter.

That's right, I cast on for sock two and have knit very little for the past few days.

Kyle is trying to get me into fishing. So, we went and bought him a new reel so I can use the old one and a fishing license for me and we are going to try to go tomorrow. It has been on the cold side and raining, so we'll see. But he is very excited. We were planning to go camping, but I just could not stand the thought of being that cold. So it will just be a day trip. Then we are going to try to go for a nice long bike ride. I will be leaving the cruiser at home and taking my mountain bike. I don't want my cruiser to get jealous, because I love him and will think of his big comfy seat the whole time I am on the mountain bike.


When I first got the cruiser, I talked about wanting to name it. Something male and something French was what I was thinking. And then having the name painted on the bike in some great font, all curly-cues and embellishments. Mostly because I have a basket and then I knit the French Market Bag (link to my FMB - I realize this is a terrible picture, I guess I have never posted a finished pic of the bag I love and use all the time) and use it and feel so... Not Fresno!! I LOVE this bike. I told Kyle I think it is the BEST birthday present I have ever received (he got if for me 2 b-days ago).

And I am 3/4 of the way through Harry Potter 5. I can't stop reading. In fact that is all I am thinking about right now. I have been anxious to read it for over a month now. I started it in Alaska (my sister's copy) and intended to read my copy when I got home (that book is too big for airplane travel) but found out my brother was reading it. It would not have been a problem, because he finished what he thought was number 5 while I was in Alaska and was reading number 6. Well come to find out (in the car on the way home from the airport, he picked me up) he had accidentally read number 6 first and had just started number 5. He was asking me questions about what I had read so far and told me how the book seemed like it was missing important information. As we talked about it, I suggested maybe the version was missing pages, sometimes books come from the publisher with sections missing. We figured that was not the problem, but he does not know the difference between a 5 and a 6. Soooo... I had to wait for him to read all the way through 5 before I could pick up where I left off. He took a little while and I have had it back for about a week and have been at it every chance I get. That is where I am going next, into my warm bed with Harry!!

Above is a picture of Kyle getting some good use from my swift. He has to switch the good fishing line off of the pole I will be using to his new reel. So he transferred it to the swift and then will wind it onto his reel. I had to help him out, my hand is holding the reel at the bottom.

When Kyle was asked how he liked the swift he said "It's rad, I'm totally gonna do it with the other line here!"

Next words: "Oh Crap, I shouda..."

I guess I better see what the trouble is.

3 comments:

RheLynn said...

I wondered what was on your swift!

Sounds like you have been very busy too! Our poor bikes froze to the ground in the Southern snowstorm :o(

J reads the HP books too, although the movies coming so quickly spoiled the books for me :o( I've got a very geeky book from the library and need to dive into it tomorrow.

Here is a fun story: J was looking in the grocery store for barley, to put in his soup -- I told him they didn't have it, he didn't believe me. So, he went looking. Came back as I was checking out. I said: 'Well, people just don't eat a lot of barley anymore.' The girl behind us said 'Barley? What's barley? You eat it?'

heh. Have a great trip!

Rhiannon said...

Too many people don't eat "real" food anymore, just fast food, resturants, or pre-made food from the grocerey store.

It is sad that something like barley is probably considered a "specialty item" now and won't be carried by regular stores.

I love barley soup!!

RheLynn said...

We do have a specialty store, but it doesn't open until 10 am, and closes at 5:30. Sometimes its a little hard to fit a trip in on a work day ;o)

People really need to cook more often, as it puts you in touch with just what goes into food, work and ingredients. Some girls I went to school with still don't know how to cook a meal from the base ingredients. That seems odd to me!

I'm glad to hear you like barley soup! What else do you put in yours?