Sunday, October 16, 2005

Felted Fleece lined hat. Yea - A Finished project!!!

Here it is. I finished it. WOO - HOO!! And while not perfect, I am soooo pleased.

First the problems, then the good stuff. So I kinda made the pattern up and felted it. With felting, it is so unscientific which is hard to design a pattern. Anyways after felting (which took MANY months due to my shear laziness!) it did not shrink enough. It was big and floppy and no good. SO, I decided to cut it up the back and sew it back together smaller and a better fit. Lo and Behold, it fits. The first two pictures show the big ugly seem inside. I was shocked at how much I took in.

Funky cut up seem to make hat a more reasonable size.
Posted by Picasa


Different view of funky cut up seem to make hat a more reasonable size. Posted by Picasa

Here it is on the glass head. Front and back views. The seem is barely visable. I am so pleased!! And if Brandon doesn't like it, both Kyle and I (and both my parents) like it and could potentially wear it.

front of hat pre fleece lining. Posted by Picasa


Hat pre fleece lining on glass head Posted by Picasa

Then I added the fleece band to the inside bottom edge. This hat was designed and made to Brandon's specifications. He wanted a wool (felted) hat with a fleece band for snow boarding. I have taken my sweet time making it. Mostly knowing he could not wear it. But seeing as it has finally begun getting cooler, I felt it was time to finish it. I also plan to finish Kyle's sweater soon (just a few ends to weave in...Boy am I slow).

Fleece lining Posted by Picasa


Fleece lining Posted by Picasa


Finished hat on glass head Posted by Picasa


Finished hat on Kyle Posted by Picasa

My complaints, I am not the best sewer, so my seems are not the straightest. But it is okay, and I should just love it and be happy with it. Now my glass head will be nakid. I guess I need to knit another hat to sit on its head to keep it warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hat is fabulous. I have a hat I'm going to try to sew in a lining. It's a little too loose and it's scratchy...the perfect candidate. So I'll need a blow by blow of how you did that exactly.