Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Year and Knitting

New Years was fun! We went to downtown Anchorage where they had set up an outdoor ice skating rink (I had no skates - but slid around the edge in my tennies) and had a really great fireworks display. I went with Tara, Teagan, Rich and Rich's mom (Brenda). We had a good time, although Brenda and I got rather cold seeing as we didn't have the long johns under our clothes that Tara and Rich wore. My feet suffered the worst because I didn't bring any really snow friendly shoes and we were trudging through the snow. The fireworks display was quick, maybe 15 minutes, but I think it is a well recognized fact that not everybody wants to stand outside in 20 degree weather in the snow for an hour. But they were really good, I took lots of good pictures, they will come later. Then we stopped in Tara and Rich's office (located downtown) to thaw our toes. All this took place at 7pm, nice so the young kiddos can enjoy it instead of staying up until midnight.

I called Kyle and wished him a happy new year, we have spent two apart. He has been whining about me being gone, but he is not too unhappy. He has been busy fishing. I also extended my plane ticket by two days instead of leaving Thursday night I leave Saturday night. Good thing, we have plans for Friday night.

I have been knitting like crazy!! One of the yarn stores was having a HUGE inventory reduction clearance sale. That's right: 30% of EVERYTHING (Well- all the yarn, 10% off everything else!) I felt the need to buy loads of stuff. But instead I decided to make the bikini from the first stitch and bitch. Only the top though. I don't really think I could pull off a knit bikini bottom. And this plan caught on. Tara liked the colors and is knitting one as well. And her neighbor Brit is also making one. She is making hers to wear in Hawaii in March. So last night when it was 15 degrees outside, Jan 2nd - the three of us were sitting around making string bikinis! Silly.

I also finished the 3.5 skein long-sleeve wonder. Several times of tearing back to make it work. I wanted longer ribbing then I did on the first sleeve, so I knit one sleeve twice. And I made the ribbing around the body too tight and tore that off and re-did it. I am wearing it right now. Tara gave me a hard time for not weaving my ends in and leaving things unfinished for so long (Swing Coat Cardi to be exact - which I only just finished two day ago) so I have been completing as I go along. Ends all in on Wonder and on the bikini. I tried it on several times and was just tucking them in. Last night I finished it. It is not hard, I just hate it!!

So with the left over brown thick and quick, I designed and knit a pair of pants for Teagan. I told her they were pajamas so she would wear them (that is all she wants to wear right now). They are really cute and I knit a red heart in the butt. She did wear them for about an hour with her Christmas pajama top from my Grandma. So I got some pictures (I will post them later). They are slim fitting with a little flair and a ribbed top with a drawstring.

Now I am working on the ballet T. I am worried about enough yarn. I may have to order more. I got 5 balls when the pattern called for 3, but I reworked the pattern to be worked on smaller needles (and I am using a different yarn) so I had hoped that the two extra balls would be enough, it is hard to say right now. What I can say is the knit picks shine is the softest most lovely yarn ever!! I will be using it again in the future.

Today is my first day home alone since I got here. Now it really feels like a vacation. I went back to bed for sevaral hours after Tara and Teagan left for work and daycare. Then I got up and have been knitting and watching tv. NICE!!

Alright this is quite the lengthy post, so I guess I can end it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! We have to get pictures up of this stuff! So much goodness goin on in AK! I am jealous of your staying home. Like the other days were SO much work. Puh-lease. We'll have to figure something out for the picks. Your many blog readers will want to see all of your FOs!

RheLynn said...

can't wait to see your 3.5 skein wonder! The pants sound cool too!